Tuesday, 3 November 2009

A little progress....

Firstly THANK YOU all SO MUCH for all your input and encouragement and kind words about my quilt! It has done me so good to have the support of all of you and I appreciate each and every comment! It has given me the courage to get on with this quilt and believe that I actually might still get it ready in time!!

Been a bit busy with back to school and home issues... (basically lost and found something... my does that take a lot of time!) but got round this afternoon to pay some attention to the question in hand as time is pressing now!

I laid out the quilt again, straightened the corners so the triangles of the sawtooth border were straight again and ended up with this sort of a gap....

So not too bad then... just think if I had sewn the corners a teeny weeny itsy bitsy less tight it would have been ok !!

I measured one side.....

It is supposed to be 6" exactly... It's 6" and 1/8th". I can live with that...

Especially as the other side...

Is exactly the same !! I knew I had measured and re-measured everything in triplicate... I just thought if I am super precise it can't go wrong now... can it? (and you have seen how wrong that went!!)

I then made a template of paper of a square of 6 1/2". That was a little on the small side (because my width is actually 1/8th wider...). So I made a square of 6 3/4" and overlaid that;

Where the sewing line is right on the triangle line of the sawtooth border, on the inside there is 1/16th left over. This would mean I would need to make the template 1/16th, which is 1/32nd" on each side smaller... That is getting a bit much for me for accuracy! So I am going to leave this template as it is and adjust the 1/32" on each side as I get to it as I am going to hand applique it on anyway.. (or does anyone think I should adjust that?? not going to do it till tomorrow...)

Tonight there fore I will rip the stitches on the triangle border until the 3rd triangle so I can insert the cream square.

OH!!!! and the most exciting news I haven't told you yet!! I have found some matching cream fabric I did not know I had!! I think it is enough for all four corners too! PHEW !!!!


In the meantime I have been doing some more quilting;


and all the geese are now done! Tonight hoping to make a start on the outline quilting on the celtic what are they called things (you know, the biasband that goes up and under etc...).

Tomorrow I am going to buy some more fabric for the new applique on the corners.

There is a way forward for this quilt!!

ps sorry about the quality of the photos... has been grey and raining all day so lights on...

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Fantastic news! What a great idea to make whole new corners. When you look at the quilt,it did look lacking in the corners anyway didn't it? Perhaps this all happened to make the quilt better than it was going to be. Accidents usually happen for a reason I think.

Susan said...

Oh, this makes me so happy, to see you moving along again and finding a solution that works for you! Be sure to tell Sweet Mum all about this, later! She'll be so impressed at what all you went thru for her!

Nice going on finding the fabric, Marguerite! WooHOO!

Evelyn said...

I'm a little exhausted just reading about it! I'm sure all this work will be worth it, and your mom will really cherish this quilt.

PS. I love how you keep saying 'fortnight'. I don't hear that much over here!!

Lauranie said...

YAY!! Perseverance and sheer talent WIN!! :) I knew you would figure it out!! Way to go girl..it will be done in NO TIME!! xo

karen said...

Great news all around!! You have made the quilt your own - looking forward to seeing what you applique in the corners.

Micki said...

All the work will pay off, as it is goint to be a treasured quilt!
Micki