Athens time

Sunday 7 November 2010

Sunday; a nice surprise and a finish

Sunday.. a no mail day, so I thought...

But just LOOK what a surprise when I read Nicole's blog at Follow the White Bunny..



a wonderful stitching ebook by Carina (who sells lovely things at Polka & Bloom) which I have won. I am really pleased about that because I have been wanting to do a bit more embroidery since I have seen all the lovely work on the web. Not in the least on Nicole's blog, where she shows us all the patterns in progress and her Etsy shop where you can buy them!

I was so enchanted by some of her patterns that I have allready bought some, but, not being an embroiderer, I was a bit intimidated in starting and knowing how to do the stitches so this book is going to be just the thing! You can see it more closely here. Carina also has another book, Small Stitches, which I think I will buy to complete the set. You can find Carina's shop here. Thank you Carina and Nicole!


The finish is for the block I was making for Cat, for the Fresh and Funky bee. Cat sent us fabric, and requested a tree block, inspired by Sarah Fielke's 4 season trees in Material Obsession 2. The background and tree fabric were determined. A lot of strips in greens and pinks were sent too. Cat said she liked spots and owls and would love to see the blocks personalised if possible.

It was a tall order but I think I have done it... I just hope Cat likes it. I had the crazy idea to make the branches green, and then cut out zillions (for my feeling) little bits of blossom.... Next time I think something like that up.. will someone warn me that after you have cut them all out AND stuck them down, you then have to SEW them down too?? each one individually? I don't know what I was thinking but I was determined to get it done today and I did!

Sorry for the lousy photo... light was just going.. these winters with early darkness.. brrrr...



Cat's owl in the tree and one of those troublesome blossoms..



I really thought long and hard on how to personalize ....



I hope you like it Cat, it will be in the mail on monday. Also monday, the fabric for the Christmas Bee will be in the post girls. Sorry to be late with that. Phew.. three things of my list!

That list was in danger of getting more things put on it all the time and no slashes through anything... so depressing... but... luckily.. Three slashes (roof, bee fabric wrapped and beeblock finished) this weekend and a win... not bad going!!!

9 comments:

Liz said...

Congrats on the win, it looks like a great book. I love the owls in the tree and well done with all your blossoms, they look fabulous. I really like the 4 trees quilt, such a great idea....
Lizzie
xxx

Unknown said...

Cute tree - and wow what a great win - you should check out the embroidery photos on Flickr there are some super ideas there, the only thing is you don't get any more time in the day to do these things

Cat said...

WOW WOW WOW look at my block and those gorgeous wee blossoms and look who's at the bottom but Rafael xxx
I LOVE it thank you xxx

Julie said...

Your block for Cat is beautiful - I went for a similar approach with lots of blossoms and leaves, and had exactly the same 'oh no' moment of realising that they all had to be sewn down.
Good that your list is getting shorter....I'm not sure mine is just now, but it's not getting too much longer either, thankfully. Juliex

myBearpaw said...

Your block for Cat is so sweet! I love those owls! And well done you, with another win - someone must be smiling down on you!

Catherine said...

Your block has turned out lovely and I can see all the work involved with all those little pieces. Good score on that book you've won too, you deserve some nice mail!

Susan said...

That embroidery book looks right up my alley- might need to get hold of one of those! Look forward to seeing what you create!

Unknown said...

I love your block, very cute.

Lauranie said...

LOVE it!! Your detail is amazing! Congrats on the win...miss you! xo