Athens time

Thursday 2 December 2010

A very special quilt

A while ago, a very good friend of mine was to become a gran and asked me whether I would be able to design and make her a quilt for the new baby.

She outlined some of the things she would like; it would have to be perfect for baby, but not in babyquilt size, so the quilt would be lovely to cuddle up in as a toddler and older even. So the colours must be suitable, but not too babyish. And of course it had to be sturdy enough for many uses and wash well.

Silk was out then.. I thought... lol !! Seriously, I thought long and hard, and when I learned the baby was there, a healthy bouncing boy, my thoughts went to the Surf and Sand Line of Michelle d'Amore. I fell in love with this line some time ago and had been saving it for a special occassion, and what was more special than this!

Another love at first sight was Kate Conklin's pattern "There's a square in there". I bought the pattern (you can get it HERE) and set to work. The pattern is a delight to work with. Very well explained and illustrated. (Kate is a genius in pattern writing, do go and have a look at her BLOG)

So here it is! Fresh and soft coloured, yet suitable for an adult as well as for a baby....



What do you guys think?



I handquilted the squares in. One of the things I really liked in Kate's original.



Here it is in it's entirety (66" square and held up very helpfully by my home from school youngest). I apologize for the bad quality of the photos, but with the snow outside (and not stopping for a minute) I did not want to take the quilt outside for some good light.. Shame really, it would have looked lovely in the snow ;-)



The back I kept completely dark. This is handy when putting the quilt on the floor for baby to lie on, or in the play pen, or in the park as a playrug in the spring.. Even though the top has a lot of white (on purpose to keep it fresh)this is great for use with babies as the quilt is totally machine washable up to 40 degrees, so it is easy to pop it in the machine and tumbledry it after (yes, tumble-dry-able too!). It's got to be easy to use with baby!!



So as you see, it is a double sided quilt too.



I do hope my friend likes it... but... if she doesn't.. I think it does look quite at home there in that chair ... mmmm....

What do you guys think?

Update: I heard from my friend and this is what she said;

"there's no way it's staying on that chair and depriving my Grandson of such an absolutely beautiful gift. Sorry! I think it's absolutely fabulous and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!"

Result!!!! Yoeeeeeehaaaaaayyyy !! Woot woot !!!!

17 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I think it is so gorgeous! I absolutely love it (and think I need to do some hand stitching on my baby quilts I'm dreaming up!)

~Laurie~ said...

It's beautiful! Perfect for baby and young adult too! You did a great job - your friend will be so pleased. Even the back is great - I really like what you did with the blocks and the color combination in lovely. Yum!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I love it - I may need to pop round and sit by your fire and have a closer look!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Before I talk about the quilt, I have to say that I've been loving your scenery and snow pics in the last few posts. And now to the quilt. Love love love love love love love love love it soooooooo much - I love everything about it - the random square pattern (and yes, Kate is a great pattern designer), the fabric choices, the back, the description of the whole process and your decisions so that the quilt can grow with the baby. And the hand quilting - this is just so wonderful from start to finish.

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

This turned out so lovely! It's perfect for both baby and older, well done you!!

Kate said...

Oh Marg, it turned out so beautifully! Your hand stitching is wonderful and the colours are gorgeous. I love that first picture of your quilt by the fire place. It would have to be one of the most inviting pictures of a quilt that I've seen. I just want to snuggle under it. Thanks so much for your kind words too :)

dolores said...

Love it Marg...that hand quilting is brilliant!:) How could she not love it!! You done good lady!:)

Unknown said...

Oh Marg this is just lovely

Lynz said...

I agree with Dee, how could she NOT love this?!?!? Your fabric choices are impeccable and I just love love LOVE the handquilting. And the back is just as gorgeous as the front - I would be so proud to have made this!!

Teresa said...

First thanks for telling me about the missing link, I've tried to do something about it but I'm not sure it worked. The quilt is beautiful just right for a growing boy and the handquilting finishes it off just right. Well done you. I made a quilt for each of my grandchildren, the oldest is now 8 and the quilt has an old mellow look from all those washings but she still uses and loves it.

Julie said...

It really is beautiful. You've met all those specifications and created something really special. What a lucky little boy! Juliex

Cat said...

It is gorgeous and it does look ever so lovely sitting next to the fire .. .. .. snow & indoor fires .. .. .. it all seems so extreme from our opposite of chickens hatching as I type, garden in full harvest mode and the water tank EMPTY grrrrr just in time for a long hot dry summer!
I love the hand stitching quilting - all of that love!! !!

Catherine said...

Beautiful Marguerite! I can see why you fell for those fabrics, absolutely perfect for a boy and as everyone else has said the handquilting is lovely! Oh and the back is as good as the front,definitely reversable. Well done!!

the essentials in life said...

Marg this quilt is divine! And the quilting is really fabulous! So simple but so detailed. I love it!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous Quilt...I love the hand quilted detail...compliments it perfectly! I bet it will be well loved and used.

Allie said...

I love it! I actually bought that same pattern, but haven't got around to trying it. I'm feeling inspired! Beautiful job.

Lauranie said...

Well of COURSE she would want this amazing quilt...who wouldn't??!! LOVE the colors!! Awesome job girl..the handstitching is my favorite!! xo