Athens time

Monday 6 July 2009

Kestrel in the Sun

It was a bright breezy sunny morning this morning, and the kestrel was taking full advantage, sitting in the sun, keeping a good eye out below for what was happening on the beach, and also in the verge (nice fieldmouse perhaps??)

I have only seen her twice this entire year (although I know where she normally 'hangs out') and suddenly twice in a row! Bit like London busses... nothing for half an hour and then three come along at once...


I found the bigger zoom on the camera, but it means you set the pixels from 10 megapixel to about 2... so even if you do get closer, it means the image is not so clear. Also you get a lot more problems with camera shake... So after trying it, I decided to stick with the 18x zoom I had yesterday at 10 mega pix and try and blow it up later. These are taken with the bigger zoom, still not as close as I had hoped....

Oh, I have been spotted... and mum flew off... Might that have had something to do with incessant barking of a not nearer defined furry animal at my side who did not get any attention? Rule no 1.. If you are doing wild life photography, do not bring naughty doggies...

Information on Kestrels; www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/k/kestrel/index.asp#

5 comments:

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What a beautiful bird and how amazing to get as close as you did. What are the cliffs she is nesting on?

Catherine said...

Great photos of the Kestrel. So hard to take photos of birds. I see those London buses haven't changed then.

Rafael's Mum said...

London buses never change Catherine :-) I suppose it is part of London.... From Dover to Margate on the East Coast of Kent are white cliffs. These cliffs and their habitats on top and at the bottom are very rich in wildlife. There are several nature reserves and with some patience you see wonderful birds! Some people are far more knowledgeable than I am, I am tickled pink when I get lucky!!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Rachel you are wonderful!!!! I love the way you write I love your blog I love that you teach us about kestrels!! and I love your car story you are my new bff!! all my best, Jennifer

Bia Cardeal said...

Hello!! I love quilts and I love birds too(could you see the pictures in my blog?). How did you do these pictures? Were you flying (hehehe)??

Bia Cardeal
(my name - Cardeal - is a bird in Brazil)
From Brazil