Athens time

Tuesday 23 June 2009


Randommer than Randommest....


I did it! Totally random.. NOT without its problems of course... sigh.....

But doesn't it look totally lovely too...?? ;



After I decided to go on the "randommaximize tour" (okay.. I'll stop there...) I read Dana's instructions through again, and particularly the bit about the seams being one way, then the other, to make the quilt lie flatter. It made sense, and as I had put the blocks on a pile after laying them out (I admit, not so randomly...) I thought that in general, they'd come out ok anyway and concentrated on the back.

I did four rows and the back was perfect!!. Excellent corners, ironed exactly the right way everywhere. Flat as a pancake! When I first started, I found that the blocks were ironed the wrong way and had to iron them again the other way... hard when they are allready 'set', so... as I was doing it random anyway, I just turned the blocks around to match the ironing direction rather than colourmatch on the front....

This I did the night before last (I sew last thing, too busy during the day and otherwise I'd never get it done!), which was a very late night and I was very tired... I turned the four rows over.. and what do you think? 3 of the same blocks in a row... I thought I'd probably added them on the wrong side, so ripped all the long rows (of perfect corner matching,... tears...) and laid them out. Then I realized the trouble had arisen in the first place as I had grabbed two number two blocks and sewn them together... so ripped them too, and laid it out properly again.

Don't you just love the colours?



So last night, I laid them out properly so I could sew them in their proper places and what do you think ? Looking at it for so long (with my tired mind) to find out what the problem was... I had oddly grown used to the 'wrong arrangement of the two no.2 blocks in the corner... So much so, that it wasn't the same having it all straightened out again.... So.. (and you won't believe this) I have sewn them back 'wrong' together again, this time deliberately!

As I had one short of no2 block and extra of no1 block therefore, I added 3 of the no1 blocks together in one of the corners too. I had taken the green out allready (did I tell you that? It was the green that bothered me more than the arrangement... Thank you so much for all your opinions. It was Karen who said "you so do love that pink" that made me realize that I wanted more pastel!!), and replaced the empty green spaces in block2 with fabrics of block 1 and so,as it is now all over the place properly, you don't even see it that much!!

So how is that for random? Block 2 mixed up with block 1. Two blocks the same touching...three the same blocks grouped together and totally random picking AND turning of blocks....

I can tell you, being the organised person that I am, I wasn't convinced... but I oddly enjoyed just letting go!

What do you think? - Can you tell where it went 'wrong'? (I suppose as I did it deliberately I will now refer to it as "wonky right" lol !! I bet you will be hard pushed!



That's my next door neighbour's arm, lending a hand...

Sigh... much happier without the green... Now.. let's see, where are we... school end nearing... and this the last quilting week or is there one more... eeeeek....

Will I ever catch up?? Never having machine quilted before I somehow doubt it....

Now where is that special quilting foot that is still in the packaging....

8 comments:

Susan said...

Good for you for stepping outside your comfort zone! The quilt top looks wonderful. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Lauranie said...

I knew it would be awesome! It really looks good, and it blends so well that I don't see any "wrong" in it! I know that you will do really good with the machine quilting too! The first time is always the hardest, but once you do it....it gets much easier! xo

~Laurie~ said...

Sooooo nice! I loved the way it turned out! I'm anxious to hear about your machine quilting - I've never done it and am a scaredy cat about it!

Catherine said...

Looks lovely! Well done with the random piecing. I knew it would look good with those lovely fabrics. Good luck with the quilting. I'm no expert with machine quilting so all I can say is relax and go for it and have plenty of bobbins at the ready.

karen said...

Its beautiful - isn't it!!! What an adventure you have had - all the interesting stops long the way and side paths - and here you are where you wanted to be. Lovely.

Unknown said...

wow your quilt top looks fantastic, well done.

Cristin said...

Gorgeous Quilt!! Love your fabric choices, Heather Bailey, right? She's one of my favs!

Evelyn said...

You know, I didn't hate that dark green before, and wondered if you were making too much work for yourself. But you're totally right - I like it much better without it! Great job. Can't wait to see the next step!