Athens time

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Fresh and Blustery

This morning there was a fresh, blustery NE wind. The prevailing winds in these parts are SW, but often turn to NE winds, which bring much colder weather. The sun now gets up a long time before we do, but early morning on the beach is still a magical time.



A lot of big waves, white horses (waves with a foamy head on them when curling over) and breakers near the shore;


Many blooming poppies got blown away and just the seedpods are remaining...



And more mysteriously... something has been sleeping in the middle of a clump of poppies... at the cliff edge.. behind the railings!!



I suspect it to have been a fox.. it was certainly a bigger sized animal, judging from the way the poppies have been bent sidewards, and even more telling, Rafael went totally mad with the scent... wanting to get over the railings (which thank goodness are high enough for him not to want to try!!) and only reluctantly walking on after returning there time and time again...

Question remains...does one sleep comfortably on a cliff edge?? that close?? even if you are a fox???

15 comments:

Me and Ma said...

I would not risk sleeping there ! Once more beautiful photos..:)

Rafael's Mum said...

Me neither Maria !! Lol !

Cat said...

Gorgeous photos - were do you find the time?
Cat

Liz said...

Love the poppy pods Marg. I guess if you're a fox it's any bed in a crisis.
Lizzie
xxx

Jodi said...

God's marvelous creation!

Dandelion Wishes said...

Do you think it could just be admiring the view? I think I could sit there quite some time taking that in Love the photos! Hope the studying is paying off.
Suz x

Unknown said...

These are some of the best photos!! I just love them all. Wow! If you find out what was sleeping in the poppies, let us know.

dolores said...

I think it is a lovely bed!

That third photo of the poppy seedheads is amazing...could be on a card...you should make cards with these photos.

BTW...what kind of a camera do you use and do you edit?

Rafael's Mum said...

I have a 'point and shoot' one, with fixed lens, can't change lenses. It's a panasonic. I just love taking pics but I don't know anything about it... so I select automatic mode, frame the picture I see in my mind... and hope it comes out like I intended it...!! And luckily often it does! Would love to do a course one day and learn a bit more about photography!

Rafael's Mum said...

Oh, and I don't edit as I now barely know how to get photos in and out of picasa, leave alone using an edit facility!! Would love to learn how to use something like photoshop though... Until then you are getting exactly like it was at that moment! it is a question of waiting for the right light and having the right angle.. A cliff might look quite dull but if you wait till the sun shines on it, it might glitter in the sunhine and that makes all the difference. Anyone can take these!

Molly said...

You caught me! I was sleeping on those poppies last night!! Most beautiful bed ever ....

imquilternity said...

Again, you have taken some gorgeous photographs! I'm so envious of your morning walk...it must be glorious to see such a lovely and ever-changing scene each morning.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Love your photos! The waves and the poppies are just beautiful you clever lady. Would make a very lovely framed photo.

quilthexle said...

Your pictures are soooo beautiful! And I absolutely agree with DeeRoo - the third picture could become a quilt. I just LOVE it! Reminds of me of our holidays at the english coast ...

myBearpaw said...

Your photos are getting better and better! Love the surf!