Athens time

Thursday 24 June 2010

A little tease....

Looking in my bird book, I think this little bird is a water pippit



Every morning, along a particular stretch of beach, it greets us, and proceeds to tease Rafael.

It sits just out of reach and stays there until he charges, flying up at the last moment, then settling down only a few yards away. If we are on the beach, and Rafa does not see it, he (she?) will fly over his head and sit down, taunting him and willing him to follow. It is not that they are attacking defending a nest site.. They (there is a pair of them) will follow him to the waterline and onto the seaweeds only just laid bare by the tide.. It is as if they think this is a good fun game.. Something to get the feathers exercised early in the morning... a sort of bird aerobics ...........

4 comments:

Liz said...

I like the thought of bird aerobics, gives Rafa a workout too. I love the fact that they're not really frightened of the dogs, it's almost like 'nah nah, you can't get me, I can fly' isn't it?
Lizzie
xxx

Rafael's Mum said...

Exactly Lizzie! Drives Rafa mad! But they are truly too quick for him! There is also a pied wagtail around, that one is not so quick.. but still escapes. That one does not deliberately tease though! I was surprised that consistently the pippits do!

Me and Ma said...

I shall have to get out my Ispy book of birds, did you have I spy books as a child we always got one when going on holiday and loved ticking off all the things we saw :)

Unknown said...

I love watching birds and seeing the different types. The birds do get the best of our kitties too. They are very intent on watching them and are like statues watching the birds every move.